Friday, January 15, 2010

B is for Brother

"I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I cried, and then we had tea." ~Dylan Thomas.


This one quote describes my brother's and my relationship. At one moment we will be laughing and having fun and then the next we are fighting. Everybody thinks that we are the exact same but we both know that we are exact opposites.

First, I'm going to tell you a bit about my brother. My brother is Alexander Gregory Kochuk. He was born on August 30, 1989 that makes him 20 years old and 7 years, 7 months older than me. Alex is in his third year at St Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. My brother is 6 feet tall and has brown hair and green eyes. I think that my brother looks a lot like my dad, but everyone says that he looks like my mom.

Next, I'll tell you how mean my brother is. Alex said that one time when I was a baby, we were driving to go pick my grandma up from the airport and I wouldn't stop crying. No matter what they did, I wouldn't stop. Alex said that he wanted to "smother me with a pillow" (exact words) Fortunately, he didn't. Alex and I always fight, and most of the time it's about something stupid like, what channel to listen to on the radio or who gets to sit shot gun, which most of the time he wins. My sister Julia is right in the middle of us, I want her to be on my side and Alex wants her to be on his. Usually Julia ends up just walking away and leave Alex and me fighting. Another time, Alex was babysitting me and told me that if I didn't go to sleep ghosts would come out of the windows and eat me. Of course I was scared so I did exactly as I was told. Now that you read this you probably think that Alex was a bad brother but Alex isn't all bad.

Now I will tell you why Alex is the greatest brother ever. When I was born my brother was 7 years, 7 months old. He said that when my mom was pregnant with me he was a proud big brother and he would bring in the ultra-sound for show and tell in grade 3. Before I was born my brother sewed me a doggy bunting suit for me to wear when I was coming home from the hospital. Alex is a pretty good brother when he wants to, he would play with me, feed me when I was a baby, and includes me when he is doing things with his friends. Alex is encouraging and always making sure I do my best!

But if there's one thing I've learned from growing up with Alex is how to get along with people. We may not always like each other but we will always be brother and sister.

Life lesson: how to get along with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment