Tuesday, April 27, 2010

M is for Math



"Almost done, almost done," I'm thinking as hard as I can, I know I can finish these last 2 problems before class is over. My pencil is screeching across my bleached, alabaster paper. I find my algebraic calculator I rapidly punch the digits, 78x360= 28080, finished one more to go I look back at the last question I think, "if y = 3, then y3 (y3-y)=..." then oh no I can think I only have five more minutes left in the class. OH MY GOODNESS, what am I going to do?...

Have you ever sat at your desk in a boiling classroom, peering at some difficult math problem and not know where to start? I have. Math should be classified as one of the last forms of slavery, no offense to Mrs Duldthard, but math is the most dreadful, harrowing, vile, shocking, horrific piece of school work, that when I look at it I feel nauseous. I can't believe that something like math would be taught in school.

I'm not the only person who doesn't enjoy math. Did you know that Miley Cyrus never liked math in middle school? I know that many people in our own grade do not care for math. I don't know how some mathematicians like, Pythagoras, Euclid, or John Von Neumann could sit for 8 hours and study math. But, I guess if you want to be the first person to find a certain theory in math you have a lot of work to do.

Not all math is hard or upsetting, I guess we need to know some basic math to live like how to tell the time, or if I want to buy something for $2 and I only have 8 quarters and I need to know if I have enough. Or if I need to make equal groups of people or if I need to know how many 4 inch cookies will fit in a box that will fit 12 inches. I guess math really isn't that bad. I do enjoy (some) math. Like adding, subtracting, multiplication, division and algebra...

...Wait algebra, it's all coming back to me now. I awaken from my short mid-math day dream to realize if Y=3 then Y3 would be the same as saying 3x3 therefor 3x3 is 9 then 9x another 3x3 so that's the same as saying 9x9 so that would be 81 and then the last step would be -Y so -3 the answer would be... 78! Yes I'm finished I scratch down my final sentance as numbers are flowing from my brain, if Y=3 then Y9(Y3-Y)= 78. I hand in my work and wait patiently for the last 2 minutes of class to finish I feel a sense of accomplishment, as I smile to myself, I finished that math problem and I am math free! At least for a while!

My life lesson is to not be afraid of math because we use it everyday and without it where would we be!

2 comments:

  1. Ahaha! Great post Hannah! I'm glad you finally figured out that math problem. And hey, i like math! :P

    Maybe next time you could ask the reader some questions to really make them think about math in a different way. Other then that it was absolutly amazing! Can't wait for your next blog!

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, that was a great blog! I love how you started, it was very discriptive and how your ending was connected to the introduction. Everything fit well together, I agree with Laurel next time you could ask the reader some questions to really make them think about math in a different way. Other than that your blog was great!

    ReplyDelete